Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How To: Dinosaur Fossils

The idea for the dinosaur fossils at Eva's birthday party I picked up of Pinterest (I love that place).



What you'll need:
Small plastic or rubber dinosaurs - How ever many you want.
I bought a tube of 36 dinosaurs for $2.50 from Kmart

1 1/4 cup of dirt
1 1/4 cup of flour
3/4 cup of salt
1/2 sand
Water
A bucket to mix it all in

This mixure will make up about 8-10 dinosaur fossils, depending on the size of your dinosaurs
You need enough water to make it a clay like consistency.

Mix all ingredients
Mold the mixture around your dinosaurs
Allow to dry.
I placed them on some newspaper outside and they still took almost a week to dry completely. I kept flipping them because the moisture would gather underneath the fossils.


 Then it's just a matter of hiding them, sending out a search party and once found, tapping them with a hammer to make them crumble apart.


They were such a hit that I've been trying to think of ways of interpreting them into other party themes and, as the original source suggests, they would be a fun activity to do with your preschooler 'just because'.

No comments: