Friday, January 27, 2012

Australia Day at an Australian Icon

For Australia Day the council organised a celebration at the local foreshore with a free sausage sizzle, jumping castle, live band and fireworks. (I love living within a municipal that holds heaps of free events!) I was asked to volunteer but I thought I'd take the VIPs to the event instead and declined. The event started at 6pm until dusk which was a bit later than the VIPs are used to being out but I thought that just this once it would be fine. They'd never seen fireworks afterall.




I wanted to get a good spot and enjoy the beach before it got too cool so we headed off after lunch.
We spent the day building sandcastles, playing in the water, chomping on scrummy lamingtons and slurping up melting ice cream. By the time 6pm arrived the VIPs were spent and ready for bed. I called it a day and missed the foreshore celebrations rather than push the day too far and deal with 3 VIPs having mental breakdowns.







They all fell asleep on the 10min car ride home and after a quick dinner and shower, slept until 7:30 the next morning. As Baker Bob said, there's something about the salt air that is just exhausting. For me, it was the sand clean up at the other end that did me in! I'd forgotten just how bad sand can be.

No comments: